WHAT TO EXPECT
I created this hike especially for the winter months to enjoy the Wachau in the low season alike. We start the hike in the dreamy village of Mautern. Mautern has something special to offer: here one will find the best-preserved remains of Roman fort walls in Austria!
Crossing the Danube bridge with beautiful views to the west and east, we arrive in the old town of Stein. Buildings from the Middle Ages, the Baroque and the Renaissance delight our eyes. We continue our Wachau walk until we reach the Steiner Tor – where the university town of Krems begins. I used to live and study here! Dive deeper...
There is a lot to discover here as well before we stop for lunch* in one of the local restaurants. Warmed up and energised, we start our way back. This time, we follow beautiful panoramic trails through vineyards of the Wachau, with wonderful views over the city, the Danube and the surrounding hills.
The medieval buildings, many churches, hidden passages and staircases give the villages a magic touch and romantic appeal. This Wachau hike offers a perfect mix of architecture, culture and nature.
I consider this an easy hike. The trail is mostly paved. You should have an average fitness level and enjoy walking. Walking time is approx. 2,5-3 hours.
- 09.00 departure from Wien Hütteldorf
- 10.00 start of the hike
- 16.00 arrival in Wien Hütteldorf
We meet in Wien Hütteldorf for carpooling. Directions from the city centre: take the U4 subway (green line) to the terminus Hütteldorf and follow the exit Keißlergasse. Take the escalator and wait either in or in front of the building (bus terminal). From Karlsplatz/city centre, it is a 15-minute ride to Hütteldorf.
The price includes the guided hike by a certified guide. Enjoy the personalised attention in a small group: we adapt to your speed and wishes.
Not included are transfers, food & drink, entry fees, personal insurance including mountain rescue and equipment.
- Carefully read and follow the recommendations under tips & tricks
- Please bring some money in cash for the restaurant.
- If you have any questions, please contact me or have a look at our FAQ .
- Thank you for being on time! Guests who arrive later than 15 minutes after scheduled departure are considered as a no-show and not entitled to any refund.
MINIMUM NUMBER OF PARTICIPANTS: 2
- For a full refund, cancel at least 7 days before the tour is scheduled to start. After that, we cannot grant any refund.
- This tour requires a minimum number of participants. If it’s cancelled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/tour or a full refund. In individual cases, the tour can be carried out already from one participant.
- This tour requires good weather. If it’s cancelled because of poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
- Read more in our Terms & Conditions