WHAT TO EXPECT
After a one and a half hours ride from Vienna, we reach the base camp of the Ötschergräben “Grand Canyon of Austria” nature park. We pay a small entry fee and start our hike. The first part of the trail is leading mostly downhill, passing by several waterfalls. Depending on season and weather conditions, they may carry more or less water. In spring there are many alpine wildflowers to admire. Most of them are rare and protected. Dive deeper...
The rest of the path follows the river quite evenly on narrow wooden bars. Along the way, we find many stony and sandy beaches, perfect for a swim or a lunch break in the middle of nature. 1,5 hours later we reach the rustic mountain hut, selling snacks such as sausages, sandwiches, beer and coffee.
After visiting the last waterfall we leave the canyon and make our way back through a pleasant shady forest road. We take the scenic train “Mariazellerbahn” to reach our starting point at the base camp (10-minute ride) of the Ötschergräben Grand Canyon of Austria, before heading back to Vienna.
I consider this Ötschergräben hike of moderate difficulty. This is an alpine trail. You must be used to hiking alpine trails (rocky, stony, rooted terrain) and to steep ascents and descents. Sure-footedness and a head for heights are essential. Proper hiking boots are mandatory for participation. Distance: approx. 11 km (7 miles). Elevation gain/loss: +296 m/-275 m
- 08.00 departure Wien Hütteldorf
- 09.30 arrival in Wienerbruck, start of the hike
- 16.00 (approx.) arrival Wien Hütteldorf
We meet in Wien Hütteldorf for carpooling. Directions from the city centre: take the U4 subway (green line) to the terminus Hütteldorf and follow the exit Keißlergasse. Take the escalator and wait either in or in front of the building (bus terminal). From Karlsplatz/city centre, it is a 15-minute ride to Hütteldorf.
The price includes the guided hike by a certified guide. Enjoy the personalised attention in a small group: we adapt to your speed and wishes.
Not included are transfers, food & drink, entry fees, personal insurance including mountain rescue and equipment. The entrance fee to the nature park is EUR 6,–.
- Carefully read and follow the recommendations under tips & tricks.
- ATTN: sure-footedness and no fear of heights are essential (alpine climb).
- If you want to jump into the river, bring SWIMWEAR and a light towel!
- Please have some money in cash with you for lunch break at the mountain hut
- Please contact me if you have any questions or have a look at our FAQ .
- Thank you for being on time! Guests who arrive later than 15 minutes after scheduled departure are considered as a no-show and not entitled to any refund.
MINIMUM NUMBER OF PARTICIPANTS: 2
- For a full refund, cancel at least 7 days before the tour is scheduled to start. After that, we cannot grant any refund.
- This tour requires a minimum number of participants. If it’s cancelled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/tour or a full refund. Nevertheless, in individual cases, the tour can be carried out already from one participant.
- This tour requires good weather. If it’s cancelled because of poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
- Read more in our Terms & Conditions