WHAT TO EXPECT
This is one of the oldest trails to the plateau of Rax mountain. Already the founder of psychoanalysis, Sigmund Freud, used to climb the Rax mountain on this trail.
We start hiking the Viennese alps on an easy forest road with amazing views to Rax mountain which we will climb. Soon, the forest road turns into a narrow, shady and steep trail. In the beginning, the trail is mostly in the forest, but after gaining some height, we will enjoy stunning views into the valley. Dive deeper...
The higher we climb, the more impressive the panoramas will be. In the end, the trail is very rocky. After approx. 2,5 hours we reach the plateau of the Rax mountain, having mastered 861 meters of elevation difference. We take a well-deserved break at the mountain hut (1.640 m), enjoying breathtaking views into the valleys, to the neighbouring Schneeberg peak and the vast plateau with its alpine flora.
Guess what – the most prominent visitor of the hut was Sigmund Freud! Just below the mountain hut there is an alpine garden, showing rare alpine flowers and plants. Many of them are protected. After the break, we can wander a bit on the pleateau before making our way back into the valley.
I consider the hiking the Viennese Alps tour a demanding hike. Please only sign up if you are in very good physical shape, have no fear of heights and are sure-footed. Walking time: approx. 4 hours 15 minutes. Elevation gain/loss: 861 m
Lowest point: 779 m Highest point: 1.640 m Distance: approx. 9 km
- 08.00 departure U3 Kendlerstrasse (exit Opfermanngasse/in front of FitInn fitness club)
- 09.30 start of the hike
- 12.00 lunch break (approx.)
- 15.30 departure
- 17.00 arrival U3 Kendlerstrasse
We meet at U3 Kendlerstrasse/exit Opfermanngasse for carpooling. Take the U3 subway (orange line) and get off at the stop Kendlerstrasse. Follow the EXIT Opfermanngasse and use the first gate. Wait in front of the FitInn fitness club.
The price includes the guided hike by a certified guide. Enjoy the personalised attention in a small group: we adapt to your speed and wishes.
Not included are transfers, food & drink, entry fees, personal insurance including mountain rescue and equipment.
- Carefully read and follow the recommendations under tips & tricks
- Please bring along some money in cash, the mountain hut does not accept card payment
- Hiking boots are mandatory for participation in this hike
- If you have any questions or concerns, contact me or take a look at our FAQ .
- Thank you for being on time! Guests who arrive later than 15 minutes after scheduled departure are considered as a no-show and not entitled to any refund.
MINIMUM NUMBER OF PARTICIPANTS: 2
- For a full refund, cancel at least 7 days before the tour is scheduled to start. After that, we cannot grant any refund.
- This tour requires a minimum number of participants. If it’s cancelled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/tour or a full refund. In individual cases, the tour can be carried out already from one participant.
- This tour requires good weather. If it’s cancelled because of poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
- Read more in our Terms & Conditions