WHAT TO EXPECT
On the gems of Wachau hiking tour, we will discover the beauties of the Wachau valley – charming towns, old castles and pretty landscapes. We wander through the historical districts of Stein and Dürnstein. Churches, palaces and simple residences of the middle ages, baroque and renaissance delight our eyes. Starting in Stein and following ancient panoramic wine trails, we finally reach our destination, the medieval village of Dürnstein. Dive deeper...
Its charm and the gorgeous landscape surrounding it will delight you. Dürnstein has a long history, stretching back to at least 1200. In the famous castle ruins of Dürnstein, the English king Richard Lionheart was held in knightly captivity many centuries ago. In the end, we will have the chance to visit a traditional wine tavern and try some local wine and food (optional) before heading back to Stein and further on to Vienna. Like that, two gems of the Wachau valley, Dürnstein and Stein will be covered. This tour is the perfect mix of outdoor adventure combined with historic sites.
I consider this an easy hike. Most of the trail is paved. You should have an average fitness level and enjoy walking. Walking time is approx. 2,5-3 hours. Distance: 10 km
- 09.00 departure from Wien Hütteldorf
- 10.00 start of the hike
- 15.30 arrival in Wien Hütteldorf
We meet in Wien Hütteldorf for carpooling. Directions from the city centre: take the U4 subway (green line) to the terminus Hütteldorf and follow the exit Keißlergasse. Take the escalator and wait either in or in front of the building (bus terminal). From Karlsplatz/city centre, it is a 15-minute ride to Hütteldorf.
The price includes the guided hike by a certified guide. Enjoy the personalised attention in a small group: we adapt to your speed and wishes.
Not included are transfers, food & drink, entry fees, personal insurance including mountain rescue and equipment. The price for the bus ride from Dürnstein back to the starting point in Stein is EUR 2,30.
- Carefully read and follow the recommendations under tips & tricks
- Please bring some money in cash for the bus ride and the restaurant.
- If you have any questions, please contact me or have a look at our FAQ .
- Thank you for being on time! Guests who arrive later than 15 minutes after scheduled departure are considered as a no-show and not entitled to any refund.
MINIMUM NUMBER OF PARTICIPANTS: 2
- For a full refund, cancel at least 7 days before the tour is scheduled to start. After that, we cannot grant any refund.
- This tour requires a minimum number of participants. If it’s cancelled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/tour or a full refund. Nevertheless, in individual cases, the tour can be carried out already from one participant.
- This tour requires good weather. If it’s cancelled because of poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
- Read more in our Terms & Conditions