WHAT TO EXPECT
After a short ride from Vienna, we start exploring the Gutenstein Alps. We enter the ravine Steinwandklamm, where we have to pay a small maintenance fee. We wander through the romantic gorge by crossing wooden bridges and a little cave on top of it.
From there we continue through a forest and to a plateau with a magnificent view of the Schneeberg, the highest mountain of Lower Austria. From the plateau, we take a quiet forest path until we reach the beginning of the Myra waterfalls. Dive deeper...
We follow the waterfalls for a while before climbing up a rather steep hill. After having mastered the sweaty ascent, we will be rewarded with a beautiful view from the summit into the valley and onto the surrounding hill chains. Our way leads us downhill and uphill again in gentle curves on a country road. We pass by beautiful pastures and if we are lucky, may spot some cows or horses before we get back to the starting point. Exploring the Gutenstein Alps means to experience true countryside feeling just an hour away from Vienna! If there is time left, we may as well stop in one restaurant on the way.
I consider this hike of moderate difficulty. There is some up and down, and you will need an average fitness level. Duration approx. 3 hours. Length: 9 km. Highest point: 720 m. Elevation gain/loss: +430 m/-440 m.
- 09:00 departure from Wien Hütteldorf
- 10:00 arrival in Steinwandklamm, start of the tour
- 13:30 departure
- 14.30 arrival in Wien Hütteldorf
We meet in Wien Hütteldorf for carpooling. Directions from the city centre: take the U4 subway (green line) to the terminus Hütteldorf and follow the exit Keißlergasse. Take the escalator and wait either in or in front of the building (bus terminal). From Karlsplatz/city centre, it is a 15-minute ride to Hütteldorf.
The price includes the guided hike by a certified guide. Enjoy the personalised attention in a small group: we adapt to your speed and wishes.
Not included are transfers, food & drink, entry fees, personal insurance including mountain rescue and equipment. The entry fee to the ravine is EUR 5,–.
- Carefully read and follow the recommendations that you can find under tips & tricks and in the hiking checklist.
- Please bring some money in cash, some restaurants don’t accept card payment.
- If you have any further questions, please contact me or have a look at our FAQ .
- Thank you for being on time! Guests who arrive later than 15 minutes after scheduled departure are considered as a no-show and not entitled to any refund.
MINIMUM NUMBER OF PARTICIPANTS: 2
- For a full refund, cancel at least 7 days before the tour is scheduled to start. After that, we cannot grant any refund.
- This tour requires a minimum number of participants. If it’s cancelled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/tour or a full refund. In individual cases, the tour can be carried out already from one participant.
- This tour requires good weather. If it’s cancelled because of poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
- Read more in our Terms & Conditions