WHAT TO EXPECT
The starting point of the Wachau for Adventurers Hike is the medieval village of Dürnstein. Its charm and the gorgeous landscape surrounding it will delight you. Dürnstein has a long history, stretching back to at least 1200. Churches, palaces and simple residences of the middle ages, baroque and renaissance delight our eyes. This tour is the perfect mix of outdoor adventure combined with a historic site. Dive deeper...
During our Wachau for Adventurers hike, we will enjoy fantastic views over the rolling hills, the Danube, the castle ruins and the village of Dürnstein. Inhale the air, filled with aromatic scents of the holm oaks, pine trees, rocks and wildflowers. Lean against the sun-drenched rocks and feel the heat. This unique landscape has an almost Mediterranean touch and resembles the ones in Southern Europe.
After having reached the highest point of the hike, we continue with the ascent through a beautiful landscape with holm oaks and interesting rock formations, until we reach the castle ruins of Dürnstein. The English King Richard Lionheart was caught near Vienna on his return from a cruciate and held in knightly captivity in the castle of Dürnstein. We will enjoy a well-deserved snack and local wine in one of the traditional wine taverns (optional) before heading back to Vienna.
I consider this hike of moderate difficulty. Ascents and descents are steep in places and require adequate physical fitness. You should be free from vertigo and sure-footed. The terrain is alpine, rocky and rooted. Walking time is approx. 3 hours, depending on individual speed. Distance: 5 km (3 miles).
- 09.00 departure from Wien Hütteldorf
- 10.00 start of the hike in Dürnstein, Wachau
- 16.00 arrival in Wien Hütteldorf
We meet in Wien Hütteldorf for carpooling. Directions from the city centre: take the U4 subway (green line) to the terminus Hütteldorf and follow the exit Keißlergasse. Take the escalator and wait either in or in front of the building (bus terminal). From Karlsplatz/city centre, it is a 15-minute ride to Hütteldorf.
The price includes the guided hike by a certified guide. Enjoy the personalised attention in a small group: we adapt to your speed and wishes.
Not included are transfers, food & drink, entry fees, personal insurance including mountain rescue and equipment.
- Carefully read and follow the recommendations under tips & tricks
- Hiking boots with a good grip are mandatory for participation
- Please bring some money in cash with you. Many restaurants don’t accept card payment
- If you have further questions, please contact me or have a look at our FAQ
- Thank you for being on time! Guests who arrive later than 15 minutes after scheduled departure are considered as a no-show and not entitled to any refund.
MINIMUM NUMBER OF PARTICIPANTS: 2
- For a full refund, cancel at least 7 days before the tour is scheduled to start. After that, we cannot grant any refund.
- This tour requires a minimum number of participants. If it’s cancelled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/tour or a full refund. Nevertheless, in individual cases, the tour can be carried out already from one participant.
- This tour requires good weather. If it’s cancelled because of poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
- Read more in our Terms & Conditions